Monday 8 April 2013

Golden Hands

I am going to share some of my archive of vintage crafts books, some of which date back to 1800s, though most are 1960s to present day. My first to share is a wonderful compilation book of material published by Marshall Cavendish Ltd in Golden Hands magazine. I found it in a charity shop a few years ago, and what drew me to it was the cover design, an embroidered waistcoat designed by my mother in 1972.  As I remember she did several designs for them but this was the most spectacular! I wonder if anyone made it? I remember her working the sample for the photograph very well. I also show another of my favourites which is so popular in style today!
An issue from 1972 showing an embroidered waistcoat designed by Joan Nicholson
Golden Hands Book 1972
An issue from 1972 showing an embroidered waistcoat designed by Joan Nicholson

An embroidered cushion cover project using chain stitch
Another design from Golden Hands Book


7 comments:

  1. That is one tasty waistcoat! I have a couple of Golden Hands books in my collection too - very of their time, lovely to dip into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to get this! Alli from theemptyoxoboc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! I wonder if she made anything from them do you know? Love your blog btw!

      Delete
    2. She was always making something, but mainly for work. She brought an industrial sewing machine and clothed most of the kids on the housing estate in dresses and shorts. I remember the purple binding of the folder the magazines were kept in and leafing through the mag. Thanks for your comment about my blog

      Delete
  3. Oh I've got nearly the whole set, my nan used to get them and she's passed them on to me, completely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aware this is an old thread but I recently acquired one of these waistcoats!

    ReplyDelete